Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Back from Tulsa Oklahoma!

This post will be brief as I am still recovering from the 20 hour drive back from Oklahoma, as well as the 5 day trip, the competition, the friends - everything!

This was my first time EVER at the OSSAS competition in Tulsa, and it will NOT be my last! I had such an amazing time, and seeing so much talent in one area is overwhelming and a bit intimidating!


The OSSAS competition is divided into 2 sections: one being the Sugar Art Show the other the Wedding Cake Competition. Being it was my first time ever, I decided to enter a few pieces in the Sugar Art Show as the Wedding Cake Competition is VERY TOUGH! This is THE cake competition in the USA (kinda like the Olympics!)

Here are my 2 entries: both are entirely edible (minus the cake form). My cookies were hand cut using a template I created and then piped freehand with royal icing. They were then hand painted to achieve the vintage illustration effect.

My special occasion cake entitled: Timbits & 24's - A Canadian Anniversary received 2nd place in the Masters division (the highest division).


My vintage Alice in Wonderland cookies received 1st place in the Masters division!



I was SHOCKED that I received anything at all, but a 1st and 2nd place BLEW ME AWAY! As a friend from Kansas stated - "if you place here, you've done GOOD!"

Thanks to everyone for their support, and thanks to all my cake friends across the US and Canada!

3 comments:

mini-cake said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so proud of you! You did it!!!

Your creations are absolutly amazing. I love the special occasion cake- what an adorable idea and your cookies blew me away. They look incredible! Both prizes much deserved. Good Job!

Kellycreations said...

Congratulations Lisa!

Unknown said...

Fantastic work, Lisa!